Saturday, June 13, 2009

Eleven Years Late

Okay it took over a year but I finally completed watching all nine seasons of Seinfeld. Yes I’m eleven years late since the last Seinfeld episode aired, but I must say I now understand all the hoopla around the show. It was funny, unique, and it revolved around four distinct characters.


A lot of people want to brag that the show was about nothing. I disagree, I thought one the main things Seinfeld revolved around was relationships, getting in relationships, and trying to get out of relationships( I believe that was said in The Seinfeld Chronicles episode) whether it be because a woman had man hands or ate one pea at a time.


George was my favorite character. He was the lovable jerk and could be very shallow and stupid at times like the one time he tried to hook up with actress, Marrissa Tomei while he was still dating Susan.


Why didn’t you watch Seinfeld when it air over decade ago is the question I get asked many times. Watching a show while it’s currently on is just not my style. There are very few shows I watch that are currently on today, it’s just too much work to remember if my schedule is clear every week to watch the Office at 9p.m every Thursday on NBC. There might be something else on I want to watch on television-maybe a game, movie, or I simply forget. On DVD, I can pause the show whenever I please, rewind and not be worry about the interruption of commercials. There were occasions when shows would air reruns or there would be a presidential address and that extended my wait to two or three weeks.


Last year, I made the mistake of not to waiting for How I Met Your Mother to run its course then bring in the real cash off syndication. I foolishly decided to see why the show got so much attention. So I halted watching Seinfeld for a while and decided to watch the first three seasons of HIMYM. When season 4 rolled along in September I had to watch it. Even though season 4 wasn’t as good as the first three seasons I forgot about watching the season 4 finale and had to read the recap. When all I had to do was wait ten years when How I Met Your Mother eventually would get cancelled instead of waiting four months to find out what happens between seasons. It a lot easier and less time to go to Blockbuster or Best Buy the next day and get the next season on DVD after the previous one was concluded.


So when people start discussing what happen on Lost on Monday around the water cooler at work just wait eight years and I’ll be ready to share my opinion with you.

No comments:

Post a Comment